Saturday, July 5, 2008

Plane flights

The plane flights were really, really long. What else can I say? On the way there about the time we got to Rome I was ready to get off. On the way back I was ready to get off about 2 hours into it. I did feel better after a little nap and walking around a bit, but it was rough. My neighbor had some episodes of a sitcom I hadn't seen in Ipod format and Boyd put those on my Ipod for me to watch. I also saved up some of my favorite podcasts to listen to and both of those were helpful. There were movies on the plane and I had put a couple of movies I hadn't seen on my Ipod, but I wasn't really in the mood for a movie.

The most irritating circumstance of my entire trip was the plane flight back. I have never in my life written a complaint letter, but I may make an exception for Ethiopian Air. When we purchased our plane tickets we requested a bassinet. When we went to the Hilton the day after we arrived in Ethiopia we requested a bassinet. When we arrived at the counter early (2nd people in line) on the day of our departure we requested a bassinet. The man at the counter told us they were all taken, but we could have the seat in between us for the baby. I was a little put out, but not too much because our baby is little and he can lie down pretty comfortably in the seat in the middle. Well, when we got on the plane, it turns out that it was actually full and they sold the seat in between us. Then while I was strolling up to the front of the plane after take off I saw that nobody was using the bassinets. Teri and I were the only people on the plane with babies at all. I nearly lost my mind. We held the baby for 17 hours straight. I could have dealt with this much better if someone had been using them, if someone had purchased or confirmed ticket ahead of us, but that they weren't using them at all was nearly unbearable. I guess I could have complained to the flight attendant, but at the time I really didn't feel like this would do me any good. My seats were in the back of the plane and nobody in their right mind would have wanted to switch with me and the airline couldn't make them, they had paid for their $1,000 seat.

No comments: